rsync problem

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Tue Sep 2 08:59:31 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:27, Guy Van Sanden wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm using rsync to sort of mirror two 40GB disks (once a day).
> All partitions work as expected, but root is weird (and as you can see
> below, I sort of made it too small).
>
> I use this command:
> /usr/local/bin/rsync -ax --delete / /mirror/rootfs
>
> But this is what I'm getting:
> df -m
> Filesystem  1M-blocks Used Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a       154   71    70    51%    /
> /dev/ad1s1a       154  138     4    97%    /mirror/rootfs
>
> So, there's a 67 MB difference between both.
> I started out wite a cleanly formatted mirror (UFS2)
>
> My system is FreeBSD 5.0 RELEASE-p11
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Guy

I expect rsync does not recognise hard linked files as such and makes
separate images of each directory link. Looking through /stand on my 4.8
system I see that this would create about 60Mb extra.

You might do better with dump and restore:
# cd /miiror/rootfs
# dump -0 -a -f - / | restore -r -f -

Malcolm