Mozilla display issues, esp. with hover

Jesse Sheidlower jester at panix.com
Mon Sep 1 19:46:18 PDT 2003

I recently updated my Mozilla install, and since then have
been having assorted display problems. These don't affect
a similar install on Linux, so I'm imagining they're
FreeBSD-related; if not, sorry for this OT post.

In particular it seems that sites having particular links
where there's some "hover" value in the CSS display
strangely: when the page first loads, these links are
displayed in some plain text, then when I run the mouse
over them (without clicking, and this is for non-
JavaScript pages) the links turn to their "hover" value
during mouseover, and then return to some other value--
but not the plain value--after mouseover.

The typical effect is that links will display in
black, then during mouseover they'll turn into, say,
blue with underlines, and then after mouseover they'll
return to non-underlined blue, which is what they should
have been in the first place. Also, moving up and down
using the scrollbar can have an impact on how these are
rendered.

I've noticed similar (?) problems where text is displayed
in black when it should be in some color/weight variant,
but I haven't noticed a pattern that will allow me to
discuss it further.

Any ideas about this? I'm using Mozilla 1.4 for GTK-2,
installed from Ports, on FreeBSD 4.8.

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower