no response on unnumbered bridged interface?

Aled Treharne aled at thinknuts.org
Mon Sep 1 15:12:40 PDT 2003

Hi guys.

I've just upgraded (aka reinstalled) my firewall up to 5.1-RELEASE. The
hardware isn't particularly new, but it's been quite happily trudging
along for the past few years using 4.something. However, with 5.1, I've
found weirdness and I wanted to check to see if this is expected
behaviour or not.

The machine has two 3C509's ep0 (external) and ep1 (internal). Ep0 is
numbered and the following sysctl variables set:

Net.link.ether.bridge_cfg="ep0,ep1"
Net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw=1
Net.link.ether.bridge=1

Now it bridges quite happily ( I have IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_ACCEPT set in
the kernel), and I can ping back and forth without any problem. However,
if I try and access the bridge from a machine connected to the switch on
the inside interface, it doesn't respond. Tcdump on the box shows ECHO
request packets, I see arp traffic (and the inside machine has the
correct mac address), but I see no echo responses. This is a problem,
since I'd like to admin this box from inside my network. :) I also
wouldn't mind the box seeing the internal network...

I can't see anything wrong with what I've got, and there's nothing in
the docs about this problem. I also experienced this problem with a
Intel EtherExpress Pro I had in there as the internal interface, and
both the ep1 card and the Intel NIC have worked in other boxes.

Has anyone got any ideas on what's going on here? As far as I can tell,
the config is identical to my previous installation...

Cheers,
Aled.