scripting the buildworld/installworld process

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Mon Sep 1 14:18:59 PDT 2003

On Monday 01 September 2003 01:11 pm, Charles Howse wrote:
> > BTW, If you add both of your kernels to /etc/make.conf, you
> > would only
> > need one buildkernel. The first one is the one that is installed. I
> > have it commented now but I used to use
> >
> > #KERNCONF=RUBY GENERIC
> >
> > to build both and install just RUBY. I got so that I liked the logs
>
> I thought it would be a good idea to install both GENERIC and CUSTOM
> kernels, so that I could boot to GENERIC if necessary.
>
> So, if I add KERNCONF=GENERIC CUSTOM to make.conf, then the generic
> kernel is installed as /boot/kernel, and I can cp /boot/kernel
> /boot/kernel.GENERIC.
>
> Then I can do installkernel KERNCONF=CUSTOM, and that will install
> the custom kernel as /boot/kernel, and that will be the default to
> boot...?

When I do that, I usually install GENERIC first and then install my
custom kernel and mv kernel.old to kernel.GENERIC. I haven't thought
about it beyond that. You probably also have to chflag it first.

FWIW, I rarely use GENERIC except on the first install. I am more likely
to boot to kernel.old. If the kernel dies at single user, you want the
kernel.old to be a good one and if you have done a couple of
kernelinstalls, that won't be true.

Kent
--
Kent Stewart