Dump

Michael Alestock michaela at maa-net.net
Mon Sep 1 07:15:11 PDT 2003

I had a question....

I have 4 filesystems that I want to dump(8) to my SCSI Tape backup drive
(Travan 4GB uncompressed).  The filesystems are, "/", "/usr", "/var", and
"/usr/home."  All four filesystems equal about 2.5Gigs of data.

I dumped the first filesystem "/" by executing, "dump -0uf /dev/sa0 / "
....then executed, "mt -f /dev/sa0 eom" to move the tape to the end of the
backup (to append to the tape), then dumped the second filesystem (/usr)
using,"dump -0uf /dev/sa0 /usr".  Then once again I executed, "mt -f
/dev/sa0" to move the tape to the end (to append to it).

When I go to execute, "restore -if /dev/sa0" to confirm that both filesystems
were saved so far, there's only ONE filesystem saved to the tape "/".  I
can't 'cd' to /var because it's not on the tape.  What am I doing wrong???  I
know I still have plenty of tape left to save other filesystems, but it's not
dumping anything after the first filesystem.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong??

Thanks,

>>> Michael