Internal Policy Routing

Meno Abels meno.abels at adviser.com
Thu Oct 30 22:02:48 PST 2003

Hello,

i 'am search for an solution for a multi-jailed enviroment. I have an
system with
around 20 jailed enviroments that are made for easy of use. The idea  is
to add to this jailed system an jailed central firewall for all other
jailed enviroments.
To gets this to run i need a special routing which is easily done on
linux with
"policy routing" but i didn't found a similar function on bsd. My network
layout look like this, remember this network is running in one box.

internet-------firewalljail(69.10.3.3)----

                             |---- internaljail-0(192.168.19.1)
                             |---- internaljail-1(192.168.19.2)
                             |---- internaljail-2(192.168.19.3)
                             |---- internaljail-3(192.168.19.4)

To enable this i need to add to the internaljails an defaultroute
to the 69.10.3.3 and the 69.10.3.3 needs an defaultroute to the
internet so that the firewalljail will transfer(filter) all packets
which are send/received from the internaljails. Is there any
solution. I know that there some additional problems with setting
the ipf/bpf kernel infos from an jail but this problem is solveable,
first solution is not use an jail for the firewall, to use the master.

Thanks in advance

Meno