FreeBSD X.x-RELEASE as DVD ISO

Kai Mosebach kai at freshx.de
Wed Oct 29 19:11:26 PST 2003

Hi Kris,

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 11:42:52AM +0100, Kai Mosebach wrote:
> > Dear List,
> >
> > in times of more people having a DVD burner, wouldnt it make sense to
> provide
> > the latest versions of FreeBSD also as an ISO-Image ?
>
> FreeBSD is provided as an ISO image, but I assume you meant a
> DVD-sized image.

right

> I don't know that there's sufficient demand for this
> to warrant the extra work and load on mirrors.  For example, note that
> we only provide the disc1 iso image on cdrom, so it's not like the
> other data you might consolidate on dvd is already provided as cdrom
> images.

the advantage of that would be, that i already have nearly all i want ever need
on my DVD and do not depend on the net.

If you compare to current linux-distros (SuSE, RH), they offer everyting on one
DVD (or 6 CDs), which is pretty handy i think.

> However, this is something that an interested third party could easily
> do themselves.

Maybe a script, creating a temporary image would be enough, im not sure though.
The only thing i do not understand for now is, how to make the compilation
bootable afterward.

regards Kai