internet setup

Derek Zeanah derek at zeanah.com
Wed Oct 29 17:38:34 PST 2003

B F wrote:

>Can someone just tell me step by step how to get my internet running starting from a FreeBSD clean install?  I have spent days trying different things I've read on websites and books, but have yet to get it working.  Thanks.

I'm new to BSD, but if it was Windows I'd just tell you to enable DHCP
on the FreeBSD box to get your network settings from your cable modem,
and be happy.  If that's not your style, then give your BSD box the
network settings manually (probably 192.168.x.y for the IP address, with
255.255.255.0 as a subnet mask.  Just pick something with a different
final number than either of your other machines.  ;) )