internet setup

B F maxtoejammer at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 13:16:31 PST 2003

Hi, I just started using FreeBSD and am new to all things non-Windows so please bear with me.  I am having trouble getting my internet connection working.  I have installed FreeBSD 4.8.  It shares a switch with my Windows machine:

FreeBSD machine

   \|/
Switch---------->Cable modem----->internet
   /|\

WindowsXP machine

I have Roadrunner cable service ( i know, it sucks, but i get it for free).  Can someone just tell me step by step how to get my internet running starting from a FreeBSD clean install?  I have spent days trying different things I've read on websites and books, but have yet to get it working.  Thanks.