4.8 on i386

John Oxley oxo at rucus.ru.ac.za
Wed Oct 29 09:39:33 PST 2003

It might be hardware.  Start with http://www.memtest86.com/

On Wed 2003-10-29 (11:31), support at solvnet.net wrote:
> Yes, I used the upgrade tool in /stand/sysinstall and then ftp for the
> upgrade.
>
> I tried a clean install from a 4.8 and 4.9 ISO disk and things still
> collapse with the Xserver required fonts and whatever, then totally fails
> on the kernel extraction. Can't figure what's up.
>
> Dan
>

> Date sent:      	Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:03:28 -0600
> From:           	"Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk at daleco.biz>
> To:             	support at solvnet.net
> Copies to:      	freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Subject:        	Re: 4.8 on i386
>
> > support at solvnet.net wrote:
> >
> > >Hello,
> > >Are there issues with trying to install 4.8 on i386 machines? I've tried
> > >upgrading from 4.2 on ISO cd to using the FTP site directly, even tried
> > >a clean install from the ISO but the istall continues to fall apart while
> > >retrieving anything with the Xserver and the binary itself. I just, this
> > >AM, used the FTP direct upgrade (thinking my ISO burn was faulty),
> > >skipped through the Xserve stuff that failed and allegedly did a
> > >successful upgrade. On reboot I get:
> > >
> > >booting(kernel)...
> > >can't load 'kernel'
> > >can't load 'kernel.old'
> > >no bootable kernel
> > >ok
> > >
> > >I have a Mylex 760 raid card, is this the impediment? The 4.2 is
> > >successful without a hitch. I have an AMI 3.0 bios, a Super p6dgs/dbs
> > >motherboard. I've downloaded the ISO from different FTP sites and
> > >still get the same result from ISO install attempts. Any words for the
> > >unwise here?
> > >
> > >thanks,
> > >
> > >Dan
> > >
> > >support at solvnet.net
> > >

> > I won't call you unwise, but it's a loooong way from 4.2
> > to 4.8.  If you've still got a 4.2 world and a 4.2 kernel, I'd
> > try to use cvsup/makebuildworld/../../../mergemaster (etc.)
> > to get to 4.4, then 4.6, then 4.8 or 4.9..............
> >
> > Can you explain the phrase "FTP direct upgrade" a little
> > more clearly?  Do you mean using /stand/sysinstall?
> >
> > You may need to wait until some bigger brains see your
> > question....  : (
> >
> > Kevin Kinsey
> > DaleCo, S.P.

/~\ The ASCII           ASCII stupid question, get a EBCDIC ANSI.
\ / Ribbon Campaign     John Oxley
 X  Against HTML        http://oxo.rucus.net/
/ \ Email!              oxo <at> rucus.ru.ac.za
"Personally, I'd rather pay for my freedom than live in a bitmapped, pop-up-happy dungeon like NT."
		-- Thomas Scoville