Confused about perl versions and perl modules

Jim Hatfield subscriber at insignia.com
Wed Oct 29 09:09:38 PST 2003

I'd love to understand the interaction between perl versions,
FreeBSD versions and perl modules.

Frinstance I have a 4.7 system with only the base system perl,
and a number of perl modules from the ports collection.

The perl modules seem to install themselves under
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/ and put the man
pages under /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/man.

Would this be different if I had perl 5.6 from ports installed
and had done a "use.perl port" before installing them???

I note that on a 5.1 system under /usr/local/lib/perl5 there
is both 5.00503 and 5.6.1 and site_perl and under site_perl
there is 5.005 and 5.6.1. This seems kind of surprising given
5.x doesn't have a base system perl and the ports version is 5.6.

I guess the real question is, if I move from base to ports version,
do I have to uninstall and reinstall all the modules from ports?