4.8 on i386

support at solvnet.net support at solvnet.net
Wed Oct 29 06:54:05 PST 2003

Hello,
Are there issues with trying to install 4.8 on i386 machines? I've tried
upgrading from 4.2 on ISO cd to using the FTP site directly, even tried
a clean install from the ISO but the istall continues to fall apart while
retrieving anything with the Xserver and the binary itself. I just, this
AM, used the FTP direct upgrade (thinking my ISO burn was faulty),
skipped through the Xserve stuff that failed and allegedly did a
successful upgrade. On reboot I get:

booting(kernel)...
can't load 'kernel'
can't load 'kernel.old'
no bootable kernel
ok

I have a Mylex 760 raid card, is this the impediment? The 4.2 is
successful without a hitch. I have an AMI 3.0 bios, a Super p6dgs/dbs
motherboard. I've downloaded the ISO from different FTP sites and
still get the same result from ISO install attempts. Any words for the
unwise here?

thanks,

Dan

support at solvnet.net