Problems with 'make world' stuff

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Tue Oct 28 14:15:13 PST 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 01:57:58PM -0800, Jason Williams wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> Im pretty new to building my own world here, but im excited to learn it.
>
> I followed the handbook as suggested on how to make world.
>
> I installed FreeBSD 4.8 on my workstation. I installed cvsup and configured
> my stable-supfile as well as my ports-supfile. I updated my ports no
> problem.
> Here are the contents of my stable-supfile:
>
> *default host=cvsup12.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
>
> I did a: cvsup -g -L 2 stable-supfile and it did its work.
>
> I then proceeded as in the handbook.
>
> After I booted to my new kernel (I noticed it said FreeBSD 4.9 stable, so I
> booted correctly).
>
> However, im having some problems when I test the kernel: Specifically with
> 'top' and 'ps'
>
> # top
> kvm_open: proc size mismatch (34048 total, 1060 chunks)
> top: Out of memory.
>
> # ps
> ps: proc size mismatch (29792 total, 1060 chunks)
>
> At this point, I was going to go back and retry doing everything as
> suggested in the handbook.
>
> In the meantime, anyone have any idea what im missing or what is going on?

It sounds like your world and kernel are out of sync.
Have you actually installed the new world yet, or are you testing the
new kernel with the old world?
If it is the latter, then that is the reason for ps and top not working.
Some programs, ps and top in particular, do not work correctly if the
world and kernel are not in sync; the error messages you report are
typical for such a case.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson