Clarification on CVS Tags

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Tue Oct 28 12:17:24 PST 2003

At 11:00 AM -0800 10/28/03, Jason Williams wrote:
>Thanks Matthew for your explanation. You answered a lot
>of my questions.  Makes sense now really.
>
>Just out of curiosity, why would someone want to use:
>
>RELENG_4_8_0_RELEASE?
>
>Is there some type of benefit?
>One would think that the best option for production
>servers is:
>
>RELENG_4_8
>
>Thanks for your insight.

The "security" or "safe" branches (such as RELENG_4_8) are
relatively new.  We still have to have tags such as
RELENG_4_8_0_RELEASE for the release process, and you
can use any tag for cvsup.  Before the "security" branches
existed, we used to encourage people to upgrade to those
release-tags instead of upgrading to stable.

There are still times when you might want to cvsup to a
release point.  Of course, once you do the buildworld
for that point, then you'll never see any new changes
until you switch to a different tag for cvsup.

For instance, it might be quite reasonable to cvsup to a
release tag, and once you know that worked you would then
cvsup to some later release tag, or to RELENG_4 ("stable").

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu