Samba: very strange truncation error

Anthony Chavez acc at anthonychavez.org
Tue Oct 28 11:03:44 PST 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:53:03 -0500 Brandon Lodriguss <brandon at eastern.k12.nj.us> wrote:
> Hi Anthony,

Hi Brandon.  I'm following up to my post to freebsd-questions with your
response.

> I was searching the net for some help with a problem it appears you've
> had before (saw an email of yours on the freebsd-questions mailing
> list)...A bunch of Samba error messages that say "can't connect to
> service _____".  I'm not having much luck, I have 4 samba fileservers
> running, all configured virtually identically except for different
> share names...Two of which are having this problem, and two of which
> aren't.

Define "configured virutally identically."  In what ways do they differ,
exactly?  Assuming they're all FreeBSD boxen, were they each built from
the same source tree?

> Did you ever have any success in finding out why this was happening?
> Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

I received no response from freebsd-questions, so I posted to the samba
mailing list (http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba/), but received no
response from that list, either.  I have been ignoring the problem
(well, that's not entirely accurate---I purchased a Powerbook to replace
my dying Win2k notebook) since I posted, but AFAIK, it hasn't been
resolved.

Based on the description of your configuration, you probably have the
better chance of determining root cause.  I currently have many other
priorities, so I will be unable to look into this any deeper until
further notice.

One possible solution would be to upgrade to 3.0.0 (net/samba-devel).  I
have yet to do so myself, but I'm hoping that by doing so, cosmic rays
will shine down from the distribution servers and send the issue
hurtling off to /dev/null, at least for the time being. :-)

Best of luck!

--
Anthony Chavez                             http://www.anthonychavez.org/
mailto:acc at anthonychavez.org                jabber:acc at anthonychavez.org