hard disk problem

DavidB odyseus00 at whatistruth.net
Mon Oct 27 15:09:19 PST 2003

Hmmm,

Hey, Lowell could you please read the thread I reference and give your
opinion of the issue about the WD diagnostic tool.

So I was studying what you were talking about bad block remapping,
dynamic bad block remapping, or western digital's term "Auto Defect
Retirement"

I had expected that I disk would when failing to write to a bad area on
disk and fails to mark it bad and redirect it to somewhere else on the
disk. But reads I would not have expected the hardware to do anything
other than give a failure. It seems there is some mechanism to do this
automatically within the hardware with reads also.  But it seems very
vague on how and when this is tripped. Most of my reading including one
thing from someone who works for Maxtor is that the bad block is marked
bad at the failed read (or succesive failed reads, says the Maxtor guy)
however doesn't get remapped until the next write, and from my reading,
seems to be, not until the next write to that particular sector.  So the
bad block being read would be there until you did something to cause the
hardware to remap it.  It doesn't seem it is done so it is totally
hidden from view or seeing issues with bad blocks.

The system seems to be setup in order to catch problems and remap them
at the earliest time so that the data is not totally unreachable[lost]
the hardware will try using multiple reads with ECC to read out the
effected data [from what I have read] and writes it somewhere else.

So again I say that the disk PROBABLY is NOT in for a soon demise.
Running the disk diagnostic tools from the disk manufacturer will remap
the bad block immeadiately as well as other things, rather than waiting
until you happen to write to that sector again.

This is my summation of the matter, based on reading various and sundry
things concerning this with none giving an absolute or concrete
answer[particularly concerning what happens with data already written to
disk].

Sincerly,
David