synchronization utility (! using ssh)

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Oct 27 12:07:37 PST 2003

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:56:25AM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	Wasn't there/isn't there a remote sync utility that you
> 	could use without ssh.  You had, perhaps optionally, a list
> 	of directories (andor files) and the utility copied
> 	only changed files from machine A to :B?  I use ssh,
> 	and have a pretty good firewall set up on my DNS server.
> 	Just wondering if some of this isn't overkill... and
> 	trying to remember the utility.  Was it rsync  after all?

rsync(1), rdist(1), even tar(1) all can be used with alternatives to
ssh in order to copy files to a remote machine.  The question is "why
would you want to?"

Basically, if you aren't using ssh(1), then you're using rsh(1) which
is an archaic protocol; a security incident waiting to happen and
something you don't admit to using in polite company.  I could mention
rexec here, but this is a family mailing list and inappropriate for
the sort of invective I would feel obliged to heap upon it.

ssh(1) is only overkill until you realise exactly what you are laying
yourself open to by not using it.  Even inside a protected network,
get into the habit of using it: it doesn't take much to accidentally
end up using an inferior, insecure alternative to external
destinations.  Plus ssh(1) has other advantages like correctly
returning the exit status of remote commands, being able to use key
based authentication, X11 display forwarding and ssh-agent forwarding.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way