mplayer port

Eric Pogroski pogrose at twcny.rr.com
Mon Oct 27 09:08:52 PST 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:54:57 -0500 (EST)
Andy Harrison <ah51 at mlz.us> wrote:

> Anyone else have trouble with the gui?
>
> It starts and plays fine for me, but when I try to click any options
> that bring up a new window (prefs, skins, etc) I see the window flash
> onto the screen and then vanish very quickly.  Play/Stop/etc buttons
> and volume control work fine.
>
> Here is the startup sequence.
>
> > gmplayer -skin CornerMP-aqua http://example.com
>
> MPlayer 0.92-2.95.4  (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Intel  (Family: 8, Stepping: 7)
> Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> Compiled with Runtime CPU Detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
> To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with
> --disable-runtime-cpudetection Reading config file
> /usr/local/share/mplayer/mplayer.conf: No such file or directory
> Reading config file /home/aharrison/.mplayer/config
> [cfg] read config file: /home/aharrison/.mplayer/gui.conf
> Reading config file /home/aharrison/.mplayer/gui.conf
> vo: X11 running at 1600x1200 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local
> display) Reading /home/aharrison/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open
> '/home/aharrison/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
> Reading /usr/local/share/mplayer/codecs.conf: 50 audio & 136 video
> codecs Font
> /usr/local/share/mplayer/fonts/iso-8859-1/arial-18/font.desc loaded
> successfully! (206 chars) Using usleep() timing
> Can't open input config file /home/aharrison/.mplayer/input.conf: No
> such file or directory
> Input config file /usr/local/share/mplayer/input.conf parsed: 52 binds
> SKIN dir 1: '/home/aharrison/.mplayer/Skin'
> SKIN dir 2: '/usr/local/share/mplayer/Skin'
> <snip - starts playing the url>
>
> I have tried without any skins, I've tried monkeying with the fonts,
> I've tried numerous ways, but can't get the gui to function properly.
>
> ~~
> Andy Harrison
> Great Works Internet
> System Operations
> (full headers for details)

Hi Andy:

This is gonna be a bit long, but this is what I do every time for
mplayer:

1. Kernel Config: (This is for an AMD AthlonXP 2100+, make
changes/adjustments as necessary)
options CPU_FASTER_5X86_FPU
options CPU_ATHLON_SSE_HACK
options CPU_ENABLE_SSE

2. install /usr/ports/x11/nvidia
make -DWITH_FREEBSD_AGP install clean
kldload nvidia
add these lines to /boot/loader.conf:
linux_load="YES" (presuming that you've installed 'linux_base')
nvidia_load="YES"

3. Download rp8_linux_20_libc6_i386_cs2_rpm from www.real.com (don't
forget, GOOGLE is your friend)
copy this to /usr/ports/distfiles

4.cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer
make WITHOUT_RUNTIME_CPUDETECTION=yes WITH_GUI=yes WITH_FREETYPE=yes
WITH_XVID=yes WITH_DVD=yes WITH_SVGALIB=yes WITH_MAD=yes WITH_AALIB=yes
WITH_SDL=yes WITH_VORBIS=yes WITH_REALPLAYER=yes WITH_LIVEMEDIA=yes
WITH_FAAD=yes WITH_XMMS=yes install clean

most of the options above have autodetect flags so if you have some of
the above then you can skip it

5. DO NOT RUN MPLAYER yet

6. install fonts
#cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer-fonts
#make install clean
(select 8859-1)

7. configure mplayer for user:
as a user (not root)
#cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer
#make install-user

8. next copy following files to ~/.mplayer
#cp /usr/local/share/mplayer/codecs.conf ~/.mplayer/
#cp /usr/local/share/mplayer/example.conf ~/.mplayer/config
#cp /usr/local/share/mplayer/input.conf ~/.mplayer

9. FINAL STEPS FOR USER CONFIG
#cd ~/.mplayer
create directory for skins
#mkdir Skin (THIS IS THE NAME OF DIR DONT MAKE ANY OTHER)

10. download mplayer skins from
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/dload.html
don't use the port, it's got some rather strange bugs in the installer

11. unpack skins to the directory you created ~/.mplayer/Skin
you should also download and install the default skin

12. make sure that these lines in ~/.mplayer/config file are
uncommented:
vo=xv
fs=yes

comment out the following line at the end of ~/.mplayer/config file:
#include = /home/gabucino/.mplayer/i_did_not_RTFM_carefully_enough...

13. Your almost done

14. run
#gmplayer
you should see your mplayer gui now.

extra stuff
15. Install mplayer-plugin for mozilla from
/usr/ports/www/mplayer-plugin (can break, ymmv)

this will allow you to play quicktime movies from mozilla
test for mozilla plugin:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/newli..._towers-teaser/

select small from watch it now panel (small loads faster) you should see
and hear trailer. There is no plugin for realplayer so *rm files will
invoke it as separate instance.

Except downloading realplayer to ../.../distfiles you do not need to
 get or install anything before installing mplayer. Test realplayer
alone to see if it works (for me it does). You will be also able to
listen WMP streaming files (mozilla should open small extra window -
empty), and watch DVD/VCD/SVCD's

one more thing:
I dont have ANY sound daemons running. The above setup works on
Asus A7V333/R with an nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4600. I dont know if it will
work with other hardware combinations, but it should, assuming that you
have sound and video working correctly.

Good luck, and have fun!

Eric