System Backup help.

DavidB odyseus00 at whatistruth.net
Sun Oct 26 15:32:22 PST 2003

whizkid at ValueDJ.com wrote:
> I have been running BSD for a week or so now.  I have everything setup
> just right, Webmail, DNS, IMAP, Webserver, etc....
>
> I just install a DDS-2 tape drive, I have been reading about using dump
> for backing up filesystems.  How can I use dump to backup the entire
> drive?  If I try using:
>
> dump 0 -A ad0
>
> it fails.. do I have to run dump on each slice?  I plan on setting up a
> chron job that runs every night to do a incremental backup, then a full
> backup at the end of the week.

Have you read the manpage?

dump works by filesystem.
If you not sure what that is then use df it will show you a listing of
Filesystems and their disk consumption. Or look at your /etc/fstab

this an example of what I use:

/sbin/dump -0au -f /dev/nsa0 /usr

/dev/nsa0 will need to be whatever your device is and if you are going
to dump more than one thing to the tape in sequence then use the device
node that is non-rewinding i.e. /dev/sa0 is scsi tape device /dev/nsa0
is non-rewinding.

you also need to use mt  if you write more than one thing to the tape to
  position the tape head to where you want to be.  I suggest man mt for
more info about that