Website up, then down, then up, etc.

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Sun Oct 26 15:25:39 PST 2003

> > > It is, isn't it?
> >
> > Yes.  I've had similar impossible problems in the past.  One time it
> > turned out to be a broken network cable, and the other time it was
> > just my inability to fathom the somewhat obscure way a particular
> > device implemented packet filtering.  Once you know what the answer
> > is, you'll wonder how it took you so long to realise something so
> > obvious...
>
> Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.  :-)
> I'm currently installing Apache2 on larry, the secondary FBSD
> machine to see if it works from there.
> That should give me a clue, and won't hurt anything at all.

Well, it's working now, but I don't know why. :-0

I unplugged the Cable Modem and Router overnight while I was at work.
When I got home from work this morning, I installed Apache2 on larry,
and configured the router to forward to larry on port 80.  No joy.
I reset all the router options to the defaults, and set up the port
forwarding.  No joy.

Later, I decided to try and bypass the router by connecting curly (the
original webserver) directly to the Cable Modem.
I set curly for DHCP and rebooted, but it couldn't get an IP address (I
probably didn't configure it right), so I set it back the way it was
originally, and rebooted.

Now it's working.  22:30 UTC.

Mother used to tell me, "Stop stomping around in the kitchen!  I'm
baking a cake, and it will fall."
I'm going to walk very softly for a while.