ADSL modem & ip addresses

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Sat Oct 25 11:56:50 PDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 02:43:38PM +0100, Vince Hoffman wrote:

> > On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 11:29:08PM +0930, Ian Moore wrote:
> > > What's the best way then to connect it to the ADSL line?
> >
> > I feel its best to have a hardware modum that also knows how to build up
> > the connection. I've set my ADSL modum up so that it builds the
> > connection and then route the packets to my gateway computer.
> >
> > > Or can we use a USB connection instead - are there FBSD drivers for ADSL
> > > modems? I can't see any in the supported hardware list.
> >
> > I wound't go for a USB connection.
> >

> Can you or anyone on the list recoment a good, supported ADSL modem as i
> will be getting adsl with a static IP which i want assigned to my freebsd
> firewall not a adsl router.

Assuming you planing your modum to build up the connection (i.e. you
turn it on and you have a internet connection.), then it doesn't matter
if FreeBSD support it or not. What you looking for is a modum that has a
IP connection for your intranet and a connetion for your intranet (line
input).

I have the cheap ALCATEL which could be converted to the more expencive
version. I started out calling in with a PPTP client, but switch because
the line kept dropped. Then I let the modum have the public IP,
turned on nat on the modum and let it build up the connection. Recently
I switch this off nat (because of slot limitations) and used a routing
option istead. My gateway doesn't have a clue about how to build up the
connection it just uses it and it talk normal IP protocol, not PPTP.

What you are looking for in a ADSL modum is: (in short)
- line in connection to the internet
- IP connection to your intranet (local LAN)
- Ability to build the connection it self (inclinding convertion PPP to
  PPTP or any other protocol that requered)
- Abilty to route packets though
- Its not a must, but it would be nice to have a nat option on it, just
  as a backup.

P.S. Please cut unrelated text out!!

--
Alex