PS2 Mouse Problems And ACPI?? Are They Related?

Brian Black bblack304 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 24 08:17:18 PDT 2003

hi
   OS: 5.1R
   Mouse: Logitech optical wireless (the one with the rechargeable base
station and like 7 buttons)
   *(This Mouse Is a usb mouse but i have a usb2ps2 connector that i have.)*
  After my install finished (gone well and returned no errors, but i did not
set up the mouse yet).  So i am going to try to configure the ps2 mouse
port.
       device " /dev/psm0"
       port "auto"
       flags "-z 4"
After this i usually reboot the machine,(need to learn how to stop and start
the moused from the command line ).  Now weather i set the mouse up this way
or using /stand/sysinstall, i get the same effect.  If i move the mouse
around in console mode i notice that it disappears while i am moving it and
then reappears in its new position when i stop moving it.  So when i startx
i cannot follow where my mouse is at because of the blinking problem.  This
really sucks@!
  Now i notice if i disable acpi at startup the mouse works correctly in the
console mode, but i loose the ability to use my usb ports(figures), and when
i try to startx with acpi disabled my mouse is stuck in the top right corner
jumping around.

Finally I try to use the mouse in the usb port, so i configure the mouse
such as (rc.conf)
   usb_enable="YES"
   moused_port="/dev/ums0"  //This Number Came From dmesg.
   moused_type="auto"
   moused_enable="YES"
after a reboot i can c my mouse in console mode and it moves around, but an
error occured during init of the rc.config file that reads something like
"cant open /dev/ums0, device busy".  X will not run returns with an error
something like "no core pointer available".

So I have no mouse available in new 5.x series.  I have no idea how to fix
this, any advice would help out thanx.

                                   bj