wrong name on emails

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Fri Oct 24 07:14:49 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "M.D. DeWar" <mark at s-wit.net>
To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 9:03 AM
Subject: wrong name on emails

> Hello,
> When I first setup from FreeBSD 4.8 box I gave it one name, badboy. Then
> later to due to dns issues I changed it to match DNS. Now when I get an
> email from the box it says root at badboy.domain.com instead of the new name.
> I searched every file I can think of. rc.local,rc.conf , resolv.conf and
> other files but with no luck.
> I tried egrep -iR "badboy" /
> to find it but it was taking a long long time. So killed it.
> Were do I find it and change it or is it permanently at the original
> hostname.
>
> Thanks
> Mark

Use the command hostname to verify that it's using the new name. If it shows
the old name there, do a hostname <new name> to correct it.. Provided it's
correct in your rc.conf file as well.

--

Micheal Patterson
TSG Network Administration

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
message.