can't print Postscript to HP 5si/mx printer.

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Oct 23 15:52:39 PDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Guy Middleton wrote:

> We have an HP 5si/mx printer with PS installed, but when I try
> printing to it, the PS source is printed.  The same printcap entry
> correctly prints onto an HP 5m printer.
>
> This is the printcap entry:
>
> lp:\
> 	:sh:\
> 	:rm=192.168.1.101:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Try adding an rp entry (remote printer, or print queue name):

  lp:\
       :sh:\
       :rm=192.168.1.101:rp=raw:\
       :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

That may get the 5si/mx to see it; I'm not sure about the behavior when
no print queue name is specified.

> Is there any other option I need for this printer, such as a special escape
> sequence for it to interpret Postscript?

I think the PJL sequence is something like escape %12345!, but you
should first check the printer menus to see if it's set to auto-detect
the print job type or just interpret them all as PCL.