pccardd - no PC-CARD slots on 5.1 release

twig les twigles at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 15:41:52 PDT 2003

Hey all, after googling for about 5 hours and trying everything
I can think of on my own I hope someone can help.  I just
upgraded this morning from 4.9RC1 to 5.1 release and I can't
seem to find my ethernet card.

Laptop: Toshiba Tecra 8100
NIC: old 3Com 3C589C
Kernel: Generic plus "device [tab] pcm" for soundcard

Tricks I have tried (not in order):
Adding "hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=1" to
/boot/loader.conf.
Adding "irq [tab] 10" to /etc/pccard.conf
Adding "device [tab] card 2" to my kernel (which made no sense
to me but someone online said it worked for them)
"pccardc dumpcis" - found 0 slots
Manually forcing the IRQ of slot0 to 10 in device.hints
Uncommenting the cbb, pcic, pccard and cardbus devices in
varying combinations since someone in an old post had to turn
one off for his card to work.

The background is that this machine has run 4.4, 4.6, 4.7 and
4.9RC1 with the same card in the same slot.  They worked this
morning before the upgrade, so I'm pretty sure we can rule out
hardware :).  Yes I start pccardd in rc.conf and yes I recompile
the kernel and install it before rebooting (without errors
even!).

I would love to include my entire dmesg since adding the "device
pcic" actually got something loaded, but the command
"mount_msdosfs /dev/fd0 /mnt" errors out since mount_msdosfs
apparently wants a block device, not a char.  Sigh, this is a
painful painful day.

Here are the lines that seems interesting from uncommenting
pcic:
pcic0 at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000-0xd1fff irq 10 on isa0
pcic ident regs: 0x83 0x83 0xff 0xff
pcic0: controller 0 (Intel 82365S Revision 1) has sockets A and
pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on pcic0
pccard1: <16-bit PCCard bus> on pcic0
pcic0: bus_space_alloc range 0x0330-0x03ff (probed)
pcic1: not probed (disabled)
pccard1: Card has no functions!

Thnx for anything and pass the bottle this way....

=====