Firewall rules

Philip Payne philip.payne at uk.mci.com
Thu Oct 23 02:53:52 PDT 2003

Hi,

I've found fwbuilder (/usr/ports/fwbuilder) to be very useful. Nice GUI for
writing your firewall policy. Some simple "Druids" :-/ for generating
generic rulesets. Formerly, I've always configured the firewall from command
line but this certainly helps in managing your policy.

I admit, I'm an IPFW person myself but fwbuilder theoretically supports
ipfilter on FreeBSD as well (I haven't used it).

One quirk, when using fwbuilder with IPFW, the divert to natd isn't
supported so I'm installing the rules with a little script that inserts the
natd rule appropriately.

---
#!/bin/sh
<ruleset name>.fw    # Installs the rules generated by fwbuilder
ipfw delete 1       # delete the check-state rule at 00001
ipfw add 1 divert natd ip from any to any via <external interface> # add new
divert rule at 1
ipfw add 2 check-state    # re-add the check-state 2
---

Phil.