Which Releases arestill"supported"

bsd at perimeter.co.za bsd at perimeter.co.za
Thu Oct 23 01:11:15 PDT 2003

Kris Kennaway writes:
> Most forms of support provided by the FreeBSD Project are on an ad-hoc
> basis, since it's a community-supported project.
>
> Typically, old releases do not get bug fixes beyond security fixes
> (for a limited lifetime, see http://www.freebsd.org/security), so bug
> reports against old releases are usually dealt with by asking the
> originator to upgrade to the latest release to verify whether the
> problem still exists, at which point an interested developer might be
> able to address the problem.
>
> A similar situation exists with the ports collection.  It is not
> guaranteed to work with old releases, and updated packages are only
> provided for the head of the -STABLE branch.
>
> Kris

Thanks Kris.

It's a pity that Cyclades are so focussed on Linux that they are ignoring
BSD...  The fact that I have more than 10 of their devices (and I'm sure
there must be many more in the field on BSD platforms) does not seem to
concern them.

One day when I'm big I'll learn some C and try including the if_cpc driver
into the source tree.

Regards,
Patrick.