Automatic mounting of removable meadia

Heinrich Rebehn rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de
Thu Oct 23 01:07:45 PDT 2003

Christopher T. Johnson wrote:
>>Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
>>

>>>Yes. Although it does not provide automatic mounting upon insertion of
>>>the disk (like windows does), it would be a solution.
>>>Unfortunately "man amd" does not say anything about the format of the
>>>map for a local device and i was unable to find anything in
>>>/usr/share/examples. Can anyone give me an example?
>>
>>This article provides a tutorial for adding this functionality using amd.
>>It may be a little out-of-date, but it has worked for me in the past.
>>
>>	http://www.daemonnews.org/200202/automounting.html
>>
>>This solution mounts the media on access, and unmounts it on quiescence.
>>Not exactly "like windows does", but still useful.
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>>
>>~brian
>

> I use amd for doing just this.  it works for most cases.  My map file looks like
> cdrom   type:=cdfs;dev:=/dev/acd0c;addopts:=ro
> floppy  type:=pcfs;dev:=/dev/fd0
> zip     type:=ufs;dev:=/dev/da0s1a
> pczip   type:=pcfs;dev:=/dev/da0s4
> pczipF  type:=pcfs;dev:=/dev/da0
> flash   type:=pcfs;dev:=/dev/da0s1
>
> (minus the NFS filesystems)
>
> This works for everything but the type:=ufs.  When amd mounts a unix filesystem
> it will never unmount it.  I had to patch amd to unmount ufs.
>
> My amd.conf is the default.  The parameters for amd are:
> 	/usr/sbin/amd -p -a /.amd_mnt -l syslog /u /etc/amd.u
>
> 	Best,
> 	-Chris

Thank you very much, it works perfect. I also added "-c 5 -w 10" to have
the disk quickly unmounted when it is no longer used.

"man (8) amd", as other posters suggested does not say anything about
the format of the maps.

Also, thanks for the link to the tutorial in deamonnews, but the
solution provided above looks simpler to me

Heinrich