Which Releases are still"supported"

bsd at perimeter.co.za bsd at perimeter.co.za
Thu Oct 23 00:36:31 PDT 2003

Hi all.

I know things are very different in the Open Source world, so the concept of
"officially supported" versions is probably nonsense, but here's my dilemma:

I received an email from Cyclades in which they told me:
"I am sorry to tell you, but the latest FreeBSD version supported by our
driver is version 4.4. The driver is not tested with newer FreeBSD versions
and therefor we cannot support it."

Now, since 4.4 was dated September 2001, it is now more than two years old.
I keep my servers up to date (currently at 4.8-p13).

So - my question - is 4.4 still a "supported" branch, or has it now been
consigned to history?  I couldn't find any policy statement WRT older
releases at freebsd.org, though I might have looked in the wrong places...

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.