strange dump (dark matter?)

Ryan Sandridge ryansandridge at ryansandridge.com
Wed Oct 22 19:01:57 PDT 2003

On Oct 22, 2003, at 5:26 PM, Ryan Sandridge wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2003, at 4:00 PM, Dave McCammon wrote:
>

>> Where is the file of your first backup stored?
>> Did it get backed up as part of the incremental
>> backup?
>
> I should have mentioned that I had checked that already, because that
> would almost explain the unaccounted for 507 MB... but unless I'm
> missing something, that is not the problem.  The backups were made
> onto /tmp filesystem, which were then archived to cd-rom, and deleted
> from /tmp. Ah, might be onto something though... I made an .iso file
> containing the dumps, which was copied to my home directory before
> burning to cd.  That .iso file sat there until today, but was deleted
> before I did today's dump.  So, I suppose it is possible that the
> filesystem wasn't flushed (is that what its called?), so the file was
> still there.  I presume, however, this would be a bug with dump, as
> that .iso file is NOT in the archive.
>
> Do you think this is what happened?
>
> Thanks,
>   Ryan

Well, as a newbie, it only took me about 10 hours to figure out on my
own that I needed to run fsck.  It showed me that I had an unreferenced
file hiding on my disk; however fsck never seemed to work as
documented.  I couldn't ever run it with 'fsck -p', I always received
(and still do receive):

/dev/ad0s1g: NO WRITE ACCESS
/dev/ad0s1g: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

and when I ran it with just 'fsck', it would always answer "no" to the
prompts to fix the problems without giving me an opportunity to fix it.
  No I didn't use the -n flag to force no responses, and I am aware of
the -y flag, but the documentation warns against doing this.  Finally I
threw my hands up, and rebooted, which seemed to clear up the
unreferenced file.

-Ryan