Vinum Offset for Swap: 265 or 281?

rtjohan at syspres.com rtjohan at syspres.com
Tue Oct 21 18:18:24 PDT 2003

So, my understanding of the bsdlabel process seemed correct:
  1) modify swap partition size to be 281 less than what sysinstall
created the partition as
  2) have the swap offset at 281 instead of 0
  3) add vinum partition set to the size of "c" minus 16
  4) have vinum partition offset at 16

I might have misunderstood the vinum subdisks settings in the vinum
configuration file though. I thought the process was:
  1) Each vinum subdisks uses the size of the partition it will be
taking over from
   2) The subdisk offset is = (partition offset - 16)

Should the subdisk offset be equal to the partition offset?

Again, this is in respect to FreeBSD 5.1 RELEASE with mirrored vinum
boot disks.

Are there known major bugs related to the 5.1 RELEASE as well?

Thanks for your help,
Richard