Trying to see website from the Internet

whizkid at valuedj.com whizkid at valuedj.com
Tue Oct 21 12:33:02 PDT 2003

> Hi,
>
> I'm having all kinds of trouble trying to get things
> set up to see my website on the Internet. I know
> people like to claim to be newbies, but I actually am.
> :-)
>
> My machine (ethernet card) IP is 192.168.254.25 and
> I'm serving on port 8080. I can bring up the site no
> problem on my LAN- http://192.168.254.25:8080/, but
> not outside.
>
> My ISP is earthlink and it's a dynamic IP account.
> Right now the WAN IP is: 68.164.84.178. Trying
> http://68.164.84.178:8080/ doesn't work. I've opened
> the port, 8080, on the router.

When you say you have opened the port on your firewall, are you speaking
of the firewall on your FreeBSD box or a Hardware firewall?  For example,
if you have a linksys router you would have to Forward your TCP port 8080
to the 192.168.254.25 box.

> What should I look at to solve this? I have
> unsuccessfully scoured the complete freebsd book,
> handbook, and archives. But haven't found anything to
> address this specific problem yet, although it seems
> straightforward. If you think I don't understand
> networks exactly, you are correct; but it's not for
> lack of trying.

if you can get to the website from inside your firewall then it is a
routing issue.  Just check above and make sure your firewall is routing to
the correct box.