USB and routing...

Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] Danovitsch at Vitsch.net
Tue Oct 21 08:17:26 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 17:26, Henrik W Lund wrote:
> ...but not necessarily in relation to one another. ;-)
>
> This is my second go at FreeBSD, and it's my umpteenth one with UNIXes in
> general. Having done my share of Linux (with one recent battle being
> setting up a web/mail/NFS/NIS/Samba server for a school project. *puh* I
> thought I knew what frustration was, but boy was I wrong!), I've moved onto
> FreeBSD because - well, I think it's easier to set up, and you don't have
> to relate to several different versions of the same OS. Now, onto my
> questions:
>
> 1. I have installed onto a laptop computer, with a USB mouse and a
> touchpad. Now, up until very recently, the USB mouse worked fine when I
> inserted it and took it out while the system was on, and the console output
> showed usbd doing its thing. However, the other day this stopped working,
> and I now have to have the USB mouse inserted at startup for it to function
> at all. This is, of course, no biggie, but it kinda defeats the purpose of
> the whole USB thing, doesn't it? The touchpad, however, works perfectly,
> always.
I think you don't have "usbd" running.
Check if you have usbd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf

> 2. I have one built-in NIC and a Wireless NIC, both of which work
> perfectly, the way they're supposed to. Now, my beef is that the Wireless
> NIC is used for home, and gets IP via DHCP from my router. The built-in NIC
> is used for school, must have IP assigned manually (from rc.conf), and has
> a totally different IP range that my network at home. This, of course,
> leads to mayhem when the default route is to be established. If I enter the
> gateway at school statically, my laptop gets online at school, but not at
> home. If I don't, my laptop gets online at home, but I have to manually
> "route add default etc" everytime I want to go online at school. Is there a
> tidy way to do this automatically? One default route per NIC, for instance?
You could create a script that checks every X-seconds if the network card is
connected. If the status goes to "active", add your schools gateway. If the
status goes to "no carrier", change to your wireless gateway.
(you can get the status from ifconfig)

grtz,
Daan