5.1-Realease UPDATE PORTS (long)

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 20 19:37:52 PDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:45:48 -0400, Osmany Guirola Cruz
<osmany.guirola at cigb.edu.cu> wrote:

> [...]

OK, very good - you now have a very recent set of ports "skeletons" (the
instructions to download the source for, compile, and install on your
system any of over 9000 applications).

As you see, these ports have 'dependencies' (other ports they need), and
upgrading a port sometimes means upgrading one or more dependencies.
FreeBSD has an excellent application for managing port upgrades that will
help you.  It is called (not surprisingly) 'portupgrade.'  Find it in the
ports system (usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade) and install it.

Now, regarding your question whether you should upgrade your whole system:
It is a good idea to keep your system up-to-date with your ports.
However, the usual way to do this is with cvsup.  :(  (You should read
about CTM, as Kris mentioned, in the Handbook online at the FreeBSD web
site to determine whether you might be able to update using that method.)
Therefore, you probably want to try installing the latest Mozilla-Firebird
without updating your entire system.  To do this, after you have installed
portupgrade and either rebooted or typed "rehash," type

# portupgrade -RN mozilla-firebird

If you get an error saying a dependency is already installed, you can try

# portupgrade -fRN mozilla-firebird

I have an alternative to suggest that may be quicker and easier, because
building the latest mozilla-firebird from the port is a very long
process.  Did you install Linux emulation when you installed FreeBSD?  If
yes, then type

# portupgrade linux_base

If not, type

# portupgrade -RN linux_base

or

# portupgrade -RN linux_base-8

(As before, if you see an error that a dependency is already installed,
try adding the -f option to portupgrade.)  Add the following line to your
/etc/rc.conf file if it is not already there:

linux_enable="YES"

Then download the Mozilla-Firebird Linux binary from <URL:
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firebird/releases/0.7/MozillaFirebird-0.7-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz>.
Install the Linux binary, reboot, and you should have a working version of
the latest Mozilla-Firebird on your system in much less time than if you
compiled it from a port.

Jud

P.S.  Osmany, please type your replies at the bottom rather than the top
of the messages to which you are replying, and try to make some kind of
visual separation between the original message and your reply.  It makes
everything much easier to read.