GTK

Andrew Kozak akozak at richardflanagan.com.au
Mon Oct 20 00:46:54 PDT 2003

From: Andrew Kozak=0D
Date: Monday, 20 October 2003 05:42:11 PM=0D
To: FreeBSD Questions=0D
Subject: GTK=0D
 =0D
Hi Everyone=0D
 =0D
Hope someone can help me here, I've kinda stuffed up big time. Whilst try=
ing
to install etherape, I received a message that my gtk was too old, and th=
at
I should uninstall it and install the new one. Which I did. Immediately
afterwards, I found that quite a few programs rely on this older version =
of
gtk I have lost all web browsers other than knoqueror (missing dillo, wha=
t a
nice efficient fast little browser that is). I am using FreeBSD 4.9RC on =
Pentium 2 with 128Mb of RAM. I have downloaded the gtk version that used =
run the broken programs (version 1.2.0) and tried to ./configure, which g=
oes
ahead, but complains about glib not being there, so I downloaded that, st=
ill
complains that glib is not there. I did download version 1.2.0 and did th=
/configure but no good, still complains that this file is missing. The er=
ror
I get if I try and run one of the broken programs is /usr/libexec/ld-elf.=
so
1: Shared Object "libintl.so.4" not found If I do a locate libintl.so.4, =
the
machine tells me that is is located in libexec, right where it should be,
however, when I log into that directory and look, It's not there - and I
have been logging in as root to make sure that I get all privileges and c=
an
see hidden files.=0D
 =0D
I have tried to reinstall some of the broken ports, but once again, I get=
 an
error stopping the build process. It is=0D
 =0D
Could not run the GTK test program, checking why..............=0D
The test program compiled but did not run. This usually means that the=0D
run-time linker is not finding GTK or finding the wrong version of GTK. I=
f=0D
it is not finding GTK, you'll need to set your LD-LIBRARY_PATH environmen=
t=0D
variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point to the installed location Also=
,=0D
make sure you have run ldconfig if that is required on your system.=0D
 =0D
If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although y=
ou=0D
may also get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH.=0D
 =0D
Line about Linux=0D
 =0D
configure: error: Unable to find Gtk+ with a version >=3D1.2.0. Dillo nee=
ds=0D
Gtk+=0D
=3D=3D=3D> Script configure failed unexpectedly.=0D
 =0D
Tried pkgdb -F, hasn't worked either.=0D
 =0D
Please don't bother if you are a 'boffin' who likes big words such as jus=
hiblib the hoobiwhastis with alt 67 and configure the path to match the
environment via port 28774. Don't get me wrong, I'm not unappreciative, b=
ut
it goes over my head, and is a waste of time for all of us. I do not
understand code or programming, I am just a workstation operator who is
trying to learn this flexible powerful system. I hope to be able to discu=
ss
and understand terminology associated with code and programming when I ge=
my head around the basics and have an  opportunity to learn more. I am a
newbie and need laymen terms to understand.=0D
 =0D
=0D
All help appreciated.=0D
Thank You=0D