Odd network interface (PCMCIA) problem; going insane

Heath Volmer hvolmer at tallbob.com
Sat Oct 18 21:51:23 PDT 2003

Hello

The problem: My PCMCIA network interface (Linksys PCM100) doesn't seems to
work - SORT OF.  This is odd.  I can get online okay, use Mozilla to browse
the web, but when I fire up sshd or apache or any other kind of server they
don't seem to be accessible from the machines sitting right next to it on
the desk.

The BSD machine is @ 10.0.0.3, have a mac @ .2, XP @ .4.

Subnets are fine.

I can't ssh, telnet, ftp or even ping!! .3 from .2 or .4.

When I ping FROM .3 to any another, I get some strange dup responses.  This
only happens on this machine.

I CAN ping to .3 from .3.  This makes sense.

Have tried direct x-over cable connection between machines.  No good.

Have removed card and installed in XP machine.  Good.

Have reinstalled FBSD.  No luck.

In order to confirm that the machine is okay, I reloaded win2K clean over
the BSD.  Good!

The PCM100 is listed in the pccard.conf file (I think that's it's name.)  I
do not see any reference to it in dmesg.

I swear this worked at one point.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Heath Volmer