Third Party Patches that link to OpenSSL

Matthew Luckie mjl at luckie.org.nz
Fri Oct 17 16:06:17 PDT 2003

> > They've said that unless the gaim project sanctions the use of OpenSSL
> > with their code, that I should not release the code.  Apparently that
> > would require contacting all of the prior developers to get their
> > permission.
>
> Who is "they"?

ChipX86, javabsp, a few others in #gaim

> Anyway, if there was a meaningful license conflict between Gaim and
> OpenSSL, the GPL (section 7) would forbid you from redistributing your
> modified version of Gaim+OpenSSL, but it would not forbid you from
> redistributing your patches by themselves.

yes, i've come to that conclusion.

i love gaim, i love freebsd, this makes using gaim on freebsd (and netbsd,
for that matter, where there are gnutls issues) a lot better.  shame that
there is a tension

http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=23172