Performance impact with SCHED_ULE in 5.1?

Hartmann, O. ohartman at mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
Fri Oct 17 05:24:37 PDT 2003

Hello.

Using SCHED_ULE instead of SCHED_4BSD seems to result in massive
performance losses in NFS in conjunction with the Intel "em"-NICs.

We use some Intel P4 based diskless/dataless nodes for numerical
calculations over GBit LAN (all machines have Intel PRO/1000 LAN
NICs) with "clusterit". On the "master" machine, which is also a P4
system with em-NIC, but SCHED_4BSD scheduler, those massive NFS
problems do not occur. I will do some tests to ensure its really
the SCHED_ULE option but at this stage I'm sure.

I also realised that on SMP machines with Intel 1000/PRO server NICs
and SCHED_ULE and ADAPTIVE_MUTEXES enabled the machine gets highly
instable (also in 5.1-CURRENT!).

On the production systems we use FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p10.

Does anybody recognized similar problems?

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman at mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
Systemadministration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)