freebsd tcp/ip stack

Simon Gray simong at desktop-guardian.com
Fri Oct 17 02:51:21 PDT 2003

Hi,

Been reading an article around Sun's new Solaris tcp/ip stack:

"Sun Microsystems' new Software Express program is alive and kicking with
the company delivering a rewritten TCP/IP stack for Solaris that is meant to
prepare customers for faster networking technology"

"code-named Fire Engine - has 10 gigabit and 100 gigabit Ethernet networks
in mind"
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/61/33440.html <<

Just out of curiosity whets the maximum bandwidth/throughput the freebsd
tcp/ip stack can handle or is designed to handle? (I know it'll depend on
many factors such as firewalling (if enabled) and of course network
cards/drivers, system load etc...) but as a basic figure?

``FreeBSD ... provides what is probably the most robust and capable TCP/IP
stack in existence ...'' ---Michael O'Brien, SunExpert August 1996 volume 7
number 8.

I've read in many places about freebsd's stack being advanced, but haven't
seen many (if any) benchmarks to prove that freebsd stack is better than say
the windows, linux or indeed other bsd os' stacks?

Cheers,

Simon