kernel option to increase max open files

Sunil Sunder Raj unixtools at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 16 20:38:07 PDT 2003

Hi,
Run sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=#### to what ever value is needed. To get it
updated at startup you can put a line like "kern.maxfiles=####" in
/etc/sysctl.conf to have the change on every reboot. You may also have to
edit /etc/login.conf and adjust any "openfiles=####" lines that might be
lowering the per-process limit.

By default the openfiles value is unlimited OR infinite.

Regards
SSR