Uninstalling Port installed applications

parv parv_fm at emailgroups.net
Thu Oct 16 14:13:23 PDT 2003

in message <000901c393da$6a1a06b0$ca00a8c0 at michael>,
wrote Michael Lee thusly...

> Say, there are 5 applications -- A, B, C, D, E
>
> Installing A depends on B,C,D, and E.
> Supposed that E was also required by another application F which
> was already installed in the system, I wonder if I type 'make
> deinstall' under /usr/port/xxx/A and try to uninstall A, will the
> port system help me uninstall B,C,D but not uninstall E ?

I don't think the port system could help by itself, either like
portupgrade or "Add/Remove Software" on Windows.

If you know the dependencies, just do it yourself one port at
a time.  There are two ways: pkg_delete(1) (pkg_deinstall(1) comes from
portupgrade(1)) & "make deinstall", ports(7).

By default, pkg_delete will not remove a dependency (in your case
any of B, C, D, E) if the dependent port still exists (A) in the
ports database (/var/db/pkg).  You can force it though via "-f"
option, and recursively delete ports via "-r".  See pkg_delete(1)
for details.

The "deinstall" target (run in the directory of
to-be-deinstalled-port) will deinstall the dependency port, B, C, D,
or E, regardless of existence of a dependent port, A.  If the
dependent port exists, a warning message will be generated informing
you of the fact.

That has been my experience of w/ the ports so far.

Back to your case...

  - Remove A (either by pkg_delete or "make deinstall")
  - Remove B, C, D.
  - Done (since you need E, no need to do anything else).

PS: You should consider installing portupgrade only if to keep the
ports database current, like i do.

  - Parv