utility idea

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Thu Oct 16 12:39:25 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 10:18:56AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	Is there an existant utility (script) that captures the output
> 	of grep -n and, using vi then presents the user with the list of
> 	files that are brought at the first point where the string was
> 	seen.  E.g, if I'm recursively searching for the string "ncount"
> 	and find several files, the script would queue up each file.
>
> 	(I seem to remember a debugging script that would do something
> 	 like this using the err output from cc, but this was years
> 	 and years ago.)
>
> 	Clues welcome, people,
>
> 	tia,
>
> 	gary

I think you think of script. I.e. script /root/filename. It records
everything you do afther that. It is used in the handbook in the chapter
that goes about updating your FreeBSD world by compilation.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use:
http://www.kruijff.org/alex/index.php?dir=docs/FreeBSD/