cannot view network servers, no sound

Anthony Carmody anthony at carmoda.com
Thu Oct 16 06:59:56 PDT 2003

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Anthony Carmody <freebsd.org at carmoda.com> writes:
>

>>Running FreeBSD 5.1 on an Intel D45PESV mainboard. [onboard sound AC97
>>AC1981B]
>

> Sounds fine.  It's a "technology preview" release, remember, but it
> should be pretty solid for your purposes.

sure. and it's the 5th 5.1 machine i have built, just that i need this
one as a workstation..

>>i have no sound and i cannot browse my network machines in
>>gnome. Everything seems to work just fine, just that i get an error
>>upon starting gnome [something about the mixer] and when i go to add a
>>network server i get nothing. I have noticed that logged in as 'root'
>>i can see them, just not connect.
>>
>>i have no idea about testing sound outside of a GUI so i dont know
>>about it being Gnome related...
>

> Okay.  These two problems are completely unrelated, and would be
> easier to treat if you'd posted them as different messages.
>
> For sound, please see the section in the FreeBSD handbook that talks
> about the subject.
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

yep. i unpacked my handbook, made a really strong espresso and i have
~s~o~u~n~d~.

> For "browsing" your network, it depends what you're talking about.
> Different protocols tend to use different applications, and you didn't
> even mention whether you're using Microsoft protocols or standard ones.

ok, my fileserver is a 5.1 machine [as is this one] running samba. i
just want to be able to browse the folders in a similar fashion as
windo$e. Gnome seems to have a function to add network servers, except
that it dosent seem to work. in fact, it crashes. i'm thinking there
must be something i have overlooked in my network setup.

--
Regards,

Anthony John Carmody

Anthony  Carmody  Consulting  Pty  Ltd