volumes crash on reboot [was Re: clearing Vinum configurations]

aarong aarong at megapathdsl.net
Wed Oct 15 23:14:45 PDT 2003

After some extensive testing, I've come to the conclusion that Vinum
refuses to create any type of volume on the drive I'm having trouble
with. I'll create any number of volumes and/or additional plexes on the
second drive in the system successfully, only to have all the volumes
or plexes that reside on the second drive crash on reboot. Vinum's logs
in /var/log/vinum_history aren't very helpful nor are any of the other
debugging techniques listed in the vinum debug howto.

What I have not been able to find is a way to understand why Vinum
declares a volume crashed or a plex faulty. I've initialized and
reinitialized the second drive until I was blue in the face; creating
filesystems and fsck'ing them; copying large amounts of to arbitrarily
created slices all without incident. Only Vinum has a problem with the
second drive, and only upon a reboot of the machine. I've had no issue
adding plexes to existing volumes and mirroring them.

/var/log/vinum_history is filled with "vinum started", "list",
"dumpconfig", "start usr.p1", and "quit" messages - nothing descriptive
of interest. The same goes for "vinum list" output, as well as dd'ing
the sixth sector on both drives. This is a remote box without
-DVINUMDEBUG built and such a procedure is far too prohibitive; it's
already taken a week to find a competent tech at the datacenter to work
with Vinum and another week to teach him how to setup a bootable Vinum
volume. Needless to say we're far behind schedule. As much as I'd like
to mirror things and leave it at that, it worries me greatly that
something could be physically wrong with the second hard drive and this
software RAID 1 setup is only giving my client a false sense of
security. I'll need some sort of concrete evidence to ask for a new
hard drive to be installed.

The first drive, known to Vinum as "alpha", is ad0 and has four perfect
volumes which the system runs off of. The second drive, known to Vinum
as "beta", is the slave on the secondary channel and hence is device
ad3. I'm almost sure this has no relevance but as you can tell I'm
completely lost. Both are identical in model, revision, and size.

Regards,
-aarong