fonts question

Scott I. Remick scott at sremick.net
Tue Oct 14 20:18:39 PDT 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 04:20:53 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

>> I know the page:
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-fonts.html
>>
>> ...but it doesn't go this deep.
>
> Actually, the Anti-Aliasing section at the bottom does.

Hey Marcus... thanks for jumping in. I didn't miss that section, but I
can't see how it helps me here. Maybe you can let me know what I'm missing.

Going through those instructions:

I don't have a ~/.fonts/ directory, and I've looked through
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ for *[Ll][Uu][Cc]* as well as examined all the
font descriptions in the various font.dir files and found no non-PCF
Lucida font mentioned.

Tweaking which fonts are anti-aliased seems not the answer as what I read
says that bitmap fonts like PCF cannot be anti-aliased. So the editing of
fonts-conf to control this isn't applicable. (note: that site talks about
editing that file, yet when you open it, it says at the very top to NOT
edit it).

Running fc-cache -f does not make these vector Lucida fonts visible to
AbiWord.

Changing the point size at which fonts are anti-aliased, or the spacing,
isn't applicable to my problems.

And finally, I already have bitstream-vera installed.

If the answer to my problem (or any of my 3 questions) is indeed on that
web page, then I guess I'm being dense, but I'm not seeing it. Sorry :(