cross-compiling Linux apps on FreeBSD

C. Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Tue Oct 14 17:11:25 PDT 2003

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any way (preferably an easy way) to build
Linux applications from source on FreeBSD with the intention of running
them in FreeBSD.

My conundrum is this: I want to be able to use a Java (and perhaps
Flash) plugin with Firebird on my FreeBSD workstation. From what I
understand, a native FreeBSD Java web browser plugin doesn't quite exist
and isn't likely to in the near future. There's a linux-mozillafirebird
port in the www ports tree that would let me use the Linux Blackdown
Java plugin, but that does not build with GTK2, and thus, cannot utilize
anti-aliased fonts.

So, I am left to roll my own. I'd like to be able to build Firebird in
FreeBSD, but I have a Linux installation that I can use if that's either
not possible or not so easy. I suspect that I'll have library issues to
deal with, but beyond that I don't really know. I skimmed through all
the documentation on FreeBSD.org, but anything dealing with Linux
emulation seems to only mention running Linux apps, not building them to
work with the Linux emulation layer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Charles Ulrich
--