Backup Solutions

Bob Collins freebsd at anything-inc.com
Tue Oct 14 12:09:15 PDT 2003

>Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:38:54 -0400
>To: "Stephane Raimbault" <segr at hotmail.com>
>From: Bob Collins <freebsd at anything-inc.com>
>Subject: Re: Backup Solutions
>Cc: <questions at freebsd.org>
>
>At 12:26 PM 10/14/2003, Stephane Raimbault wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am curious as to what people using FreeBSD use for a Backup
>>Solution.  Are there any Comercial software available for Tape Backup
>>Solutions that run well on FreeBSD?
>>
>>I'm looking at using a Dell PowerVault 110T LTO tape drive and was
>>looking for software to utilize to backup the 10 servers and growing in
>>my server farm.
>>
>>Thank you,
>>Stephane.

I am sure Bacula can handle your setup. I am also sure Amanda will do the
job. If I were in your position, I would try both. Run one for a week or
two and then the other. See which works best for you.

There are some minor catches with Bacula on FreeBSD for running under the
5X branch with the latest version of bacula. You can follow the threads at
the bacula email archive on sourceforge. If you are running FBSD 4.8 you
should be fine. There was/is some change to the SCSI (if I recall
correctly) coding that Bacula has trouble with.

You would be most welcome to email the bacula list at:
bacula-users (at) lists.sourceforge.net
and ask about your setup and possibilities as well as what you want to do
per schedules, drives, etc.

Bob