big vinum problem

Octavian Hornoiu octavian at hacknslash.org
Mon Oct 13 23:49:12 PDT 2003

After a power loss last night i restarted my server with a 425 gig or so
RAID-5 array and expected to go through a length fsck after which the
system would come up.  However, one of the vinum subdisks was down.  So,
i rebooted into single user mode, i restarted the home.p0.s3 subdisk and
then i ran a manual fsck.  What followed was a series of hard errors
that said:

ad7s1e: hard error reading fsbn 86482817 of 43241337-43241448 (ad7s1 bn
86482817; cn 5383 tn 78 sn 8) status=59 error=40
vinum: home.p0.s3 is crashed by force
vinum: home.p0 is degraded
 fatal: home.p0.s3 read error, block 43241337 for 57344 bytes
home.p0.s3 user buffer block 30268632 for 57344 bytes
** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
ad11s1e hard error etc

then home.p0.s7 becomes corrupt and crashes by force and then i find
myself staring at a screen that says:

CANNOT READ: BLK 297103054
CONTINUE [yn]

I have done this twice now and every time vinum successfully initializes
the subdisk and the plex comes up and is in the "up" state but once i
run fsck it crashes again.  What exactly can i do to remedy this.  If
it's a bad disk i'll replace it but can't vinum work around bad blocks?

My system is FreeBSD 4.9 RC from RELEASE branch with all the latest
patches, i'm fully up to date.  I have 8 subdisks in vinum home.p0.s0-s7
with a 55 GB partition on each drive used by vinum.  All the drives are
identical and all they contain is the vinum partitions.

Please CC me in any emails you send as I am not on the list.

Thanks for your help!

octavian