Piping Syslogd Output to a Program

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Mon Oct 13 13:31:41 PDT 2003

	Is there a way to run syslogd such that its output can be sent
to a program?

	It seems like it may be possible based on a passage in the man
page in section 8 for syslogd.

	     into a single line of the form ``last message repeated N times''
	     when the output is a pipe to another program.  If specified
	     twice, disable this compression in all cases.

	That is the only discussion I see in the manual and there
appears to be nothing in the FreeBSD Handbook at least when I was
looking up references to syslogd.

	The best outcome will be if one can run syslogd so that it
still produces the files it does, but has this extra channel open to
another program that I would write which works like a very alert
operator that will do X if it sees Y happening.

	Thanks for any answers or references that can point us in this
direction.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group