Quick upgrading question

phillip.smith at sympatico.ca phillip.smith at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 13 07:38:05 PDT 2003

Hi there + happy turkey day,

Quick question today (and please cc me directly with your reply, as I'm not on this list formally) about updating my FreeBSD 4.6-2 box. Given the recent flurry of security advisories, I wanted to take a moment this weekend to patch my production system ... however, during the patch process, I saw a few unsucessful hunks and such. I've re-comiled the kernel (as required by some of the patches) and all seems okay there. But, I'm starting to think that it may just be time to upgrade the system to 4.8.

First question ... any drawbacks to doing that upgrade? I'm pretty sure that I upgraded this machine from 4.5 to 4.6-2 at some point ealier this year and it wasn't as difficult as I had expected.

Second question, if I do want to upgrade (painlessly) to 4.8, which of the following should I be CVSup-ing? RELENG_4_8 or RELENG_4_8_0_RELEASE? I'm not a total newbie, but I'm not too heavily into this "keeping up with FreeBSD" thing, beyond the necessities.

Any help, thought, and advise appreciated.

Phillip.
phillip.smithATsympatico.ca